I need a photo of him. If you can help, please contact me.

Joe Blondin
     This envelope which originated from the LOS ANGELES AIRPORT, ARMY REVIEW and is signed by EB Joe Blondin, is postmarked LOS ANGELES, CALIF., JULY 29, 1932
It has been donated through the courtesy of Stéphane Sebile.

     If you search for "Joseph A. Blondin", using the Google search engine, (11-22-03), you will find just two links, this one and the very helpful one cited below.

by Ray Bair
     This page on the ALBUQUERQUE AEROSTAT ASCENSION ASSOCIATION website offers a paragraph which describes the efforts of Joe Blondin to fly a balloon at a fair in 1907. If time is short, you may read the following extract of the relevant paragraph.
"Except for an occasional carnival passing through Albuquerque with balloon-parachute exhibits, the only balloon activities were associated with the territorial Fairs. In 1907, a local merchant, Roy A. Stamm, was serving as the secretary for the 27th Annual Fair scheduled for October 7-12. Stamm and the fair association had been sold on a plan by Joseph A. Blondin, an experienced balloonist and an earlier resident of Albuquerque, to use a captive hydrogen balloon at the fair. It appeared that after 25 years, a balloon again would be flying over Albuquerque. Balloon interest at the fair was high because two Americans won the First International Balloon Race in Paris the previous September. Unfortunately the hydrogen generator wasn’t adequate to fill the balloon. On the last day of the fair, a company of cavalrymen from Fort Wingate walked the one-third filled bag two miles through the south valley to the city gas plant where the inflation was to be completed with coal gas. It was Friday, October 11th. The balloon was anchored with sandbags at the plant and its inflation valve was coupled to the gas system. By 10:00 the next day the gas bag appeared full. The balloon was walked back downtown to the fairgrounds. Unfortunately, the balloon named “City of Albuquerque” was not sufficiently buoyant to lift both ballast and balloonist. Late that day, Blondin flew solo up the valley, and drifted 18 miles until the evening air cooled the envelope. Over Alameda he was shot at eight times, but suffered no damage. On landing, he stood on the load ring and hung on to the shrouds to lessen the shock from impact on the mesa west of Corrales. For the Fair that year, it was a balloon fiasco more than a balloon fiesta. "
If you have the time, I think you will enjoy reading the whole story. It may be accessed by clicking in the title above.

Joseph A. Blondin died in 1952
From The Early Birds of Aviation ROSTER, 1996
BackBack Home