English Version
Translation courtesy of Giovanni Giorgetti



Product Details
Hardcover: 660 pages

DAL MISTRO Achille Carlo

He was born in Venice (1892).

He obtained a license as a pilot at Etampes (France) on August 5 1911. He opened the landing field of Cortile (Modena) with the flight Carpi - Modena and return and made the postal flight Bologna - Venice in 1911. Voluntarily he participated in the war Italo - Turkish as an aviator.
In Milan and Modena in 1914 he took part in the "looping" races. He became known for the incident with Pégoud in Milan.
He returned home from America where he was performing for aviators and participated in the war against Austria.
He was promoted to Captain.
He died at Medeuzza in the night 25-26 May 1917, while he was bearer of orders on which he had volunteered.
He was decorated with a silver medal.
He was a Pioneer of the Italian Aviation

Eroi e Pionieri Dell'Ala
Dizionario Biografico dell'Aeronautica Italiana
"Biographical dictionary of the Italian Air Force"
by Enea Grossi
Product Details
Cloth: 122 pages;
Publisher; Milano Arti Grafiche Fratelli Magnani - 1934
        Mario Cobianchi wrote this very interesting book in the year 1943 and he died in the 1944. The book isn't for sale and in Italy there are only 11 copies in the libraries. It is the source of the information on other Italian pioneers which I have sent to you including Giuseppe Cei, Pasqua marquis Ugolino Vivaldi, Mario Calderara and Adorno Enrico Cammarota
Photo & text courtesy of Giovanni Giorgetti, 7-15-09

               IN ITALIA

Product Details
Hardcover: pages


SEPTEMBER 19th 1911
Only one of the ten enrolled aviators, Dal Mistro, had not been able to start because of the delayed arrival of his aircraft, a "Deperdussin" from Paris, which had arrived on the morning of the 17th and was missing the parts which fastened the shaft of the propeller.
On the morning of 19 September, the expected piece finally reached him and, with great impatience, Dal Mistro began the work of assembly, supported by the mechanics, ensuring that in he would be able to leave on the nextday. The Committee, therefore, had to warn Dal Mistro because two days were spent from the start of the other competitors and no security service and spare was activated along the way, it, so, was constrained to declare that, after such notice, it was felt freed from all responsibility, and considered Dal Mistro to be free, out of the race.
This did not upset Dal Mistro at all, who issued a written statement to the Committee, in which he affirmed that he had to leave at his own risk.


Dal Mistro had hoped to accomplish the two stages Bologna-Venice and Venice-Rimini in one day , so as to meet his colleagues.
Not being able to rely on any help, on any reporting, on any assistance, and more with a new aircraft , of which he had not yet tried the engine, he entered the enterprise with doubtful outcome, but Dal Mistro did not show indecision or hesitation. An iron character, nineteen years of age, exuberant, he was determined.
At 15 p. m., only a few people and some journalists were present, Dal Mistro rolled his monoplane outside of the hangar, and having received from the Kt. Bottarin, Postmaster of the Royal Post of Bologna, as per previous agreements between the Post Office Management and the aviator, the bag of the mail posted on the field of aviation of Bologna, he boarded his aircraft, being the object of the more vivid attention of the audience who, in the meantime, had gathered.
The young Venetian aviator, after a short test of the engine, raised his arm in a sign of ritual "left you" and at 15.24 p.m. took off.
He passed above Ferrara quickly at 15.50 p. m. at 800 meters . At 16.52 p.m. with a superb flight, he went over Polesella, and at 17 was sighted over Rovigo. Twenty minutes later he went over Adria, and at 17.38 he was above Venice, his city, which crossed with beautiful flight, between the admiration of the public, at that hour numerous at the Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's Square).
He was then directed to land on the beach of the Excelsior Hotel with a glide, but when he was about to take the ground, (about 17.40), realized he was going to hit two people who were walking on the field and, for evasive action, tried in vain to get up and crashed with the tail of the monoplane on the fence.
To save himself, he rushed towards the beach, succeeding just in time to get out of the aircraft, while this was reversing and went into the water.
Dal Mistro fortunately remained unscathed. He was immediately approached by all those who had observed the scene and applauded. He was a little depressed by the emotion, but he got over it immediately.
His first concern was to collect the mail bag and go and deliver it in the hands the inspector Ostedich who was waiting at the Excelsior.
Dal Mistro had provided airmmail service for the first time in Italy, just a few days away from the first global experiment in England, which took place on September 9th 1911.
Dal Mistro, was handed the bag, helped by some soldiers of the Engineer Corps, who carried his aircraft into the hangar.


The Venetian Consulate of the Touring Club conferred to Dal Mistro a gold medal in memory of the first transport of airmail. The handover took place in the Cabinet of the Mayor, where the MP Foscari, head of the Venetian Consulate Touring, along with members of the consulate met themselves. The count Grimani, saying a high address, gave the medal to Dal Mistro, very valuable work with meaningful symbols.
The medal was accompanied by a parchment artistically worked.

BackBack Home