I need a photo of him. If you can help, please contact me.

Via Email from Rube Erickson, 12/30/02
Ralph - You asked for information on Sam Tickell. I have very little but you might be interested.
     My wife was in garden club in Milford CT. I had just hired on at Sikorsky Aircraft as a flt test engr. Sam's wife, Jean, who worked in a local nursery, invited us over for dinner (in Milford). Sam was there. He must have been in his early eighties. Since he died in 66 this must have been 64 or 65.
     We had dinner and the usual talk revealed that he had started aircraft manufacturing in Stratford CT in 1910 at the site where the Shakespeare Theater now stands, I think, since I haven't been there in 22 years. That's about it except that he was still interested in airplanes. His wife, Jean, was much younger, say 30 years. When they were married the honeymoon included parachute jumping (sky diving is a later term). Something about if she didn't want to jump she shouldn't have married him. He must have been in his 50's at this time or more.
     Sam gave me a WW II Astro-Compass as a dinner gift. A few minutes ago I just gave that away to a friend who is involved working for a local flt service. Got me thinking about him so I found your web site. And, yes, I have seen his name on a plaque at the Smithsonian as one of the aircraft pioneers.
Not much and that's about all.
Rube Erickson
155 James
Dayton NV 89403
     A follow up note. My wife says that Jean gave me the Astro-Compass after Sam died. She may be right. It would seem that if you want more info on Sam you might try locating Jean Tickell who with luck may still be alive. Look in the Connecticut area. Milford, Stratford, Bridgeport, New Haven... Sikorsky Aircraft may even have info on him (Stratford) as they do have a historical organization. I bet Igor knew him.
Editor's Note: I was not successful in contacting Jean Tickell. 1-18-03

Cleveland, Ohio, 1946
     All the three hundred odd Early Birds were at the latest and greatest reunion ever.
     Yes, you were all there. Not all of you were there in person but you were there in spirit and wishfulness. And you were there in the thoughts and recollections of those who actually lifted their glasses.
     There should have been more of you present in person. As in the first reunion, and in the last before this, and in between, you would have had the time of your file. And still better will be the next to come, and the one after that---for how long? Quien Sabe.
Who, Where, When
     Now past, the greatest reunion of all Early Bird time took place at the Hotel Carter, Cleveland, August 30-September 2, 1946. George Scragg, Brig. Gen. Frank P. Lahm, Robert Minshall and Al Engel of the reunion committee, did a job. The program was of constant activities, and the arrangements were complete. These are they who were there alone or with their wives,escorts, or escorted, so far as the Great Book shows---there are still others who missed the record;
To read the whole story,
which includes a reference to Sam Tickell,
just click on:
Early Bird Meeting

American Air Mail Catalogue
Quotation courtesy of Roy Nagl, 2-4-06
Dear Ralph:
Thank you very much for letting me know about your new web page for Thomas McGoey! I was especially intrigued about the mention of his air mail flight and looked up the entry for it in volume four of the 1981 edition of the "American Air Mail Catalogue", which gives the following description of it, on page 1654:

"1912, May 10 -- Winnipeg, Manitoba. An Air Circus was held in Winnipeg for the entire week. On May 10 it was expected that one of the plots, Thomas McGoey, would fly mail in his machine. The mail afterwards was to be posted at the local Post Office. It is understood he had the authority of the Postmaster to do this. A card, the only item now known to exist, is addressed to Toronto, Ont. It is postmarked Winnipeg, May 10, 9:30 A.M., 1912, and is also canceled Grand View, Ont., May 14, 1912. The card has a three-line rubber stamp cachet reading "From Winnipeg -- By First Aerial Route -- Thomas McGoey, Aviator." Aviator Sam Tickell flew a Curtiss biplane and crashed. However, McGoey was ill in a hospital at Grand Forks, N. Dak. and did not reach Winnipeg until May 24. It is not definitely known whether Tickell carried mail on his attempt of May 10 or whether it was dispatched via ordinary means on the failure of McGoey to arrive."

Sam A. Tickell died in 1966
From The Early Birds of Aviation
Roster of Members
January 1, 1993

Editor's Note:
If you have any more information on this Early Bird,
please contact me.
E-mail to Ralph Cooper

BackNext Home